The engine oil is the life blood of your car, keeping its moving parts lubricated and transferring heat away from the engine combustion. In addition, the viscosity of engine oil holds in suspension all the nasty by-products of combustion like silicon oxide and acids. Engine oil even reduces oxidation by minimizing engine exposure to oxygen and it does all of these things under tremendous heat and pressure.
What does this mean to you? Over time your engine oil breaks down and becomes less effective at doing its job. This is why periodically checking your oil and regularly oil changes are extremely important.
Here are some helpful pointers for checking your oil from the friendly used car dealerships at the Olympia Auto Mall:
- When checking your oil, be sure the car is parked on the level.
- You should check your oil when the engine is cold or no sooner than 15 minutes after the car has been turned off.
- Remove the dipstick and wipe it with a clean, lint-free cloth.
- Insert the oil dipstick back into its holder and press it firmly back into place.
- Remove the dipstick again, this time checking the oil level against the markings on the stick.
- Next, check the condition of the oil by noting the color of the oil on the stick. Clean engine oil is a clear, golden color. If the oil is dark or black, check your service records, it may be time for an oil change.
The experts at the Olympia Auto Mall recommend that you check your oil once a month, especially on older vehicles. If you need assistance, come on in. The service centers are here to help you.
The Olympia Auto Mall – Washington’s Largest
New and used car dealerships serving the Tacoma, Olympia, and Puyallup areas!!!